"I want to break up with my boyfriend, but he won't let me. He
threatens to hurt me or himself, if I leave him. I'm really
Laura - 16 years old
"My boyfriend gets really jealous when I talk to other guys. He
constantly calls and checks up on me. I know the way he treats me
isn't right. He says it's because he loves me and is afraid to lose
me. He promises to change. I think I can help him."
Michelle - 17 years old
"When I used to see my father hit my mother, I told myself that
I'd never hit my girlfriend. But I have. Now I'm afraid I'm going
to grow up to be just like my father."
John - 17 years old
Dating Violence Survey
If you answer yes to any of the below questions you have the potential to be a victim in your relationship.
- Does your boyfriend call you names, insult or humiliate you?
- Does he put restrictions on your activities, friends or the clothes you wear?
- Does he become extremely jealous if you talk to other people or go places without him?
- Does he accuse you of being with other guys?
- Does he ever force you to let him touch you or have sex with you?
- Does he ever drive recklessly to scare you?
- Does he constantly call to check on you or follow you when you're not with him?
- Has he hit other girls he's dated?
- Does he hit, slap, shove or kick you?
- Are you afraid to break up with him? Does he threaten to hurt you or himself if you leave him?
For help call 815/756-5228 or 815/786-6333.
If you answer yes to any of the below questions you have the potential to be abusive to your partner.
- Do you constantly criticize your girlfriend?
- Do you make your girlfriend tell you everything she does when you're not with her?
- Do you get angry when your girlfriend disagrees with you?
- Do you make excuses for your actions by blaming someone or something else?
- Do you frequently throw or break things when you're angry?
- Do you believe that a man should always be "in charge?"
- Do you think it's okay for a man to force a woman to have sex with him?
- Do you ever hit or restrain your girlfriend?
- Do you threaten your girlfriend with violence if she says she wants to end the relationship?
For help call 815/756-5054.
DATING VIOLENCE: INFORMATION FOR TEENAGERS ON BREAKING
Jersey Battered Women's Service, Inc.